The Jamestown project, which documents the history of Jamestown and surrounding area for the first hundreds years, holds some very interesting information.
On July the 4th, 1693, in the Acts of Assembly, we find that Thomas Blunt and the Nottoway and Weyonoke Indians are mentioned. Thomas Blunt, interpreter, was to notify these Indians about marking their hogs in an act entitled “An Act concerning Indians Hoggs.”
The act empowers the court to assign a particular mark for the towns of the Nottoways and Wayonoke Indians, so that when they mark their hogs by cutting their ears, people will be able to tell whose hogs belong to whom. The settlers routinely registered their livestock marks with the courts.
At this time in history, livestock was turned loose to graze together in the forest surrounding the settlements.
Shortly thereafter, we find the Blunt/Blount family closely allied with the Tuscarora who lived adjacent the Blunt/Blount family on the North Carolina/Virginia border region near what is now Bertie County. At that time, it was the Craven District of Albemarle County. Eventually, the Chief of the Tuscarora would carry the Blount/Blunt surname as well.
The first mention of the Blount name among the Tuscarora is in some papers dating from between 1695 and 1705 in which Thomas Blount is noted as an Indian. By the time the Tuscarora War began in 1711, Tom Blount was the chief of the more peaceable Tuscarora group, closely allied with the English, who lived in the northern part of North Carolina near the Virginia border.